Thursday, November 27, 2008

From a thankful, though inconstant, blogger

This Thanksgiving comes with so much to be thankful for!   Obama won, the Longhorns are having a fabulous football season and the next Harry Potter movie is set to release on my birthday!  As if it couldn't get any better, I am living with Blair and her beautiful family, I see my sister nearly every day (we've started speaking in unison), and I finally have a job that I wanted (not one that just fell in my lap).  I've been thinking what a difference a year makes. Last November, I came to Austin and on the flight back to San Diego I cried - practically bawled. It wasn't just leaving my hometown that did it - the combination of an unsettled life was crashing down on me, and visiting a place I find cathartic only to leave was wrenching.  A year later, as Thanksgiving steamed, bubbled and crisped in the kitchen of my Austin home, I thought how fortunate I am to have my wonderful friends, both near and far, old and new; to have a family who's company I love; to have a job; to have a healthy life I shape on my own; to have a car; to have yoga; to have Fall and oncoming Winter; to have laughter.  The list is practically endless and it fills me with hope and happiness as the new year fast approaches.   Happy Thanksgiving, with all my love!

With our resident Hobbit as Thanksgiving pulls together.  And, Mom gets to take a shower!

A little blurry, but can you feel our excitement and sense of accomplishment?  Susan's marshmallow sweet potatoes puffed up perfectly and my ginger/coconut sweet potato concoction turned out to be a crowd pleaser.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I'm so happy that you are so happy! And you look really good. Now tell me about this job!

Blair said...

I miss your posts. Where did they go? I don't know. J and I are both shrugging and looking around the room for them.

Blair said...

Dude... it has been 6 months.